5 Reasons Why This Lesser-Known European Island Is Perfect For A Sunny Winter Getaway

Share The Article

Last Updated

While some vacationers are counting the times till they will bask in a cup of sizzling cocoa and take within the views of snow-laced peaks, others are dreaming of a heat beachy escape that’ll present a much-needed break from the plummeting temperatures again house.

woman overlooking Gran Canaria, Spain

If that sounds such as you, there’s one specific European island that must be moved proper to the highest of your journey bucket checklist.

Gran Canaria, a part of Spain’s iconic Canary Islands archipelago, is among the area’s crown jewels, beckoning vacationers with open arms and sunny shores regardless of winter being only a hop, skip, and bounce away.

(*5*)

So, when you’re nonetheless on the seek for your subsequent journey vacation spot, what you’ll discover beneath may simply persuade you to go off to Gran Canaria this winter.

Dreamy Weather

One of essentially the most defining options that units Gran Canaria aside from different winter getaway locations throughout Europe is its dreamy weather that continues to maintain vacationers heat even this time of yr.

According to TUI, the UK’s largest tour operator, common temperatures on the island are anticipated to hover round 20°C (68°F), which, whereas not fairly ideally suited for sunbathing, are good for nice sightseeing excursions the place you received’t must put on something greater than a lightweight t-shirt.

aerial view of Las Palmas, Gran Canaria

However, seashore lovers will likely be delighted to study that swimming remains to be very a lot on the desk, because the a part of the Atlantic that meets the island’s shores is remarkably heat, whilst air temperatures begin to drop.

This upcoming month, water temperatures are anticipated to common 21° C (70°F), making it one of the best time to go in for a nice but refreshing swim.

Moreover, predictions converse of a 63% likelihood of an ideal sunny day this December and a 37% likelihood of seeing a couple of clouds, so chances are high that you just’ll get to soak beneath the Spanish solar greater than as soon as throughout your time right here.

So Much To See

One of the primary the explanation why you’ll come to understand the nice climate in Gran Canaria is the truth that you’ll have a protracted itinerary to finish earlier than you permit the island.

Landscape with Maspalomas town and golden sand dunes at sunrise, Gran Canaria, Canary Islands, Spain

The area is a microcosm of various landscapes and ecosystems, and the island’s inside, a Unesco Biosphere Reserve, is house to the enduring Roque Nublo, a towering volcanic rock formation whose panoramic views are to not be missed.

On the opposite hand, these trying to get a tan this winter can nonetheless reap the benefits of Gran Canaria’s 146-mile-long (236 km) shoreline.

Gran Canaria coastline

Here, you’ll discover the idyllic gold-sanded seashores of Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas, the place you cannot solely take within the spectacular views but additionally discover the buzzing underwater world of the area. 

An Event-Filled Winter

If mountaineering or diving isn’t actually your factor, you may all the time keep on with the cultural occasions that happen everywhere in the island this time of yr.

Attend the Christmas Eve live performance at Santa Ana Square, expertise the exhilarating music performed on the live shows on Las Canteras Beach, stroll via the previous city of Las Palmas, or go to one of many many Christmas Markets scattered throughout Gran Canaria – the alternatives are nearly infinite.

Exceptional Cuisine

Though this may be anticipated when visiting Southern Europe, it’s nonetheless value mentioning – Gran Canaria’s culinary scene is a marvel ready to be explored.

local food: plate of cooked fish with plantains, tomatoes and onions in Cartagena

Drawing inspiration from Spanish, African, and Latin American cuisines, the daring, flavorful dishes served by native tavernas function a testomony to the island’s various influences all through its previous.

From contemporary seafood caught proper off the coast to arrugadas, mojo sauces, and the famend Canarian black pig, the area guarantees to take each palate via the journey of a lifetime.

A Gateway To Other Idyllic Islands

If you’re trying to bask in an island-hopping expertise this upcoming winter, establishing base in Gran Canaria is among the greatest decisions you can also make.

apagayo Beach In Lanzarote, Canary Islands, Spain

Whether you need to discover the volcanic landscapes of Lanzarote or the luxurious forests of La Gomera, the island serves as the right gateway to an thrilling, well-rounded exploration of your complete Canary archipelago.

Read More:

Top 5 Travel Insurance Plans For 2023 Starting At $10 Per Week

How To Easily Earn Points For Free Travel

↓ Join Our Community ↓

The Travel Off Path Community FB group has all the most recent reopening information, conversations, and Q&A’s occurring each day! 

Travel-off-Path-group-1-1
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LATEST POSTS

Enter your e mail deal with to subscribe to Travel Off Path’s newest breaking journey information, straight to your inbox.

This article initially appeared on TravelOffPath.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *